Durham County Democratic Party
- Past Treasurer of the Durham County Democratic Party
- Past 2nd Vice Chair of the Durham County Democratic Party
- Past 3rd Vice Chair of the Durham County Democratic Party
- Past Region 4 Chair NC Veterans for John Kerry
- Past Political Chair for the Durham Green Dogs
- Past Precinct 23 Chair for the Durham County Democratic Party
Durham County Board of Commissioners
- Elected Chair 1st term in office 2012-2013
North Carolina Association of County Commissioners
- Member of Economic Development Committee
- Member of Human Services and Health Committee
National Association of Counties
1 Vice Chair of Human Services and Education Committee
- Past Chairman of Durham Voter Coalition
- Durham Congregations, Associations, and Neighborhoods (CAN)
- Durham Committee on the Affairs of Black People
- The People’s Alliance, Past Chair-Race Relations Committee and Member-Economic Justice Committee
- Durham Branch of the NAACP, Past Political Chair, Current President and re-elected President for a fifth term unopposed
- Member of Inter-Neighborhood Council (INC)
- Past Board Member of the Durham Literacy Council
- Past Board Member of JRuth, Inc.
- Past Chaplain of A. Philip Randolph Institute Durham Chapter
- Member of Seniors and Law Enforcement Together (SALT)
- Past President of Old Farm Neighborhood Association
- Board Member of Bridges Pointe Foundation
- Master Mason of Doric Lodge 28
- Member of Veterans for Benefit Justice
- Past Finance Officer of American Legion Post 175
- Past Commander of American Legion Post 175
- Past Board Member of Operation BreakThrough, Inc.
- Past Volunteer of Meals on Wheels of Durham, Inc.
- Honorably discharged from The United States Air Force
- Retired from The United States Army Reserve with 22 yrs of total military service
- Durham Rotary District #7710
- James E. Shepard Sertoma Club
- Delegate of Triangle J Council of Governments
- Board of Trustees Triangle Transit and member of Planning & Legislative Committee
- Board of Trustees Duke Regional Hospital and Watts Oversight Committee
- Board of Trustees Durham Visitors and Convention Bureau
- Board of Trustees Down Town Durham, Inc
- Board of Trustees American Public Transportation Association
- Member of Legislative Committee American Public Transportation Association
History of Activism and Accomplishments:
- Worked with East Durham Fair Share to develop a new City –Wide Housing Impact Policy.
- Worked with citizens of North East Central Durham with asking the City to pave the 92 dirt streets that are located in downtown Durham.
- Helped to form a Coalition to Reduce Plea-Bargaining of Violent Gun Crimes in Durham.
- Worked to get the Durham City Council to adopt a code that requires the landlord/owner to repair the house within 90 days, if the cost of repair is less than 50 percent of the structure’s current tax value.
- Worked with the City and County to adopt a Junk Yard Ordinance. The accumulation and storage of abandoned, wrecked, junked, partially dismantled or inoperative vehicles as defined herein within the City of Durham is hereby found to create an unsightly condition.
- Asked City and County Officials to institute a Neighborhood College for the average citizen to better understand public policy.
- Currently enrolled in the Neighborhood College to be prepared to assume the elected position after graduation in April for County Commissioner in May.
- Asked City and County Officials to vote no for a Duke Energy Proposal(E-7sub831) to prevent a tax on the renters and poor of our community.
- Promoted community efforts to increase voter turnout by sponsoring a gospel show and providing bus rides for early voting. “Souls to the Polls”
- Promoting Voter Empowerment and GOTV by collaborating with Democracy NC and other progressive organizations that want to re-enfranchise the community to prove that every vote counts.
- Working with Green Jobs Roundtable to bring Green Jobs to City and County Government to cut down on crime by providing jobs for youths involved with gangs, lower the unemployment rate with training for an innovative industry in great demand in our community and cut down on green house gas by having government buildings to become Leed certified.
- Worked with SEIU on campaign in Arizona for two weeks to help organize state workers.
- Went to Washington, DC for SEANC to lobby support for healthcare and union for state workers in NC from Senator Kay Hagan.
- Worked with SEIU on campaign in Pennsylvania to organize the Child Care Providers for a month.
- Licensed with the North Carolina Department of Insurance with Life, Health, Accident, and Medicare. Also completed my securities license with the National Association of Securities Dealers by completing series six and sixty-three so that I can market annuities, stocks, and mutual funds.
- Lobbied with the State Conference of Branches of the NAACP and its coalition partners to pass the NC Racial Justice Act.
- Served as an Organizer with SEANC to put on town hall meetings across North Carolina to help get healthcare reform passed to give legislators another option when they balance the budget in the future.
- Served as an Organizer to set up H K on J Local People’s Assembly in support of Occupy Durham to build a coalition that will highlight local issues going into 2012 for H K on J 6 where we march to turn back the regressive acts of the General Assembly.
- Served on the H K on J Local People’s Assembly to set up International Human Rights Day to bring the community together into solidarity around immigration and social issues that will affect all of us should those rights be trampled on by the ultra conservative.
- Worked with coalition partners to get the police to institute written consent searches when citizens are stopped during a traffic stop.
Education: Military Service:
BA Business Management Retired 22 years
Employment: Married: 30 years
Retired N. C. Division of Motor Vehicles 28.5 yrs 4 children
Member of District 27